The beauty industry has given the nickname “Vampire facial” to a facial treatment known as platelet-rich plasma (PRP) facial or therapy. This procedure involves microneedling followed by the application of platelet-rich plasma, or PRP, onto the skin.
During the treatment, PRP is derived from your own blood. Blood contains platelets that are rich in growth factors. When applied to the skin, these growth factors contribute to an enhanced cell turnover rate. They stimulate the production of collagen and elastin, improving the skin’s elasticity and promoting hydration. Additionally, the growth factors present in PRP infuse the skin with antioxidants. Another benefit of this procedure is that it enhances the skin’s ability to absorb other skincare products, allowing for better penetration and effectiveness.
It is worth noting that while the term “Vampire facial” is popular in the beauty industry, the technical name for this treatment is the platelet-rich plasma facial or therapy. Through the use of PRP and microneedling, this procedure offers multiple benefits for the skin, including increased cell turnover, collagen production, hydration, and improved absorption of skincare products.
Here’s what happens when you go for a vampire facial or PRP facial:
- the skin care professional will first draw out blood from your body.
- They will then extract platelets from your blood. They spin the blood at a fast pace using a centrifuge to separate its layers. The plasma rich in platelets is extracted from it.
- A numbing cream will be applied to your face to make the procedure more tolerable; almost not painful.
- These platelets are then applied to your skin through microneedling or microdermabrasion. When the platelets are applied, they trick your skin into thinking that it is injured, making it produce more collagen.
PRP. Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is a protein concentrate derived from whole blood after undergoing centrifugation to separate and remove the red blood cells. This process leaves behind a solution with a higher concentration of growth factors compared to whole blood. Growth factors are naturally produced by our cells and play a crucial role in tissue healing and repair, making them beneficial for various skin issues.
PRP contains a rich reservoir of these growth factors, which can contribute to the regeneration and rejuvenation of the skin. By harnessing the power of these growth factors, PRP therapy can assist in addressing a wide range of skin concerns. Whether it’s promoting wound healing, improving skin texture and tone, reducing the appearance of scars or blemishes, or enhancing overall skin health, PRP has the potential to provide significant benefits for various skin issues.
the growth factors boost collagen, elastin and hyaluronic acid development and enhance the skin’s elasticity.
This procedure helps to:
- Improve the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- Improve your skin texture
- Reduce the size of the skin pores
- Improve the appearance of acne scars
- Improve the plumpness of your skin
- Give you a youthful glow and smooth skin
- Improve the effectiveness of skin care products